Curious about essential oils? Read this first!
What’s the DEAL, with essential oils? (said in my best Seinfeld voice. ?)
Okay. When I first started seeing my friends getting into essential oils, I just did not get it. What’s the point? I mean, they smell good. You could add them to like a homemade deodorant or something to make it smell better…I guess? Why did everyone think they were so exciting?
Because they are way, way more than a smell. I get it now. You know how people use herbal medicines all the time for all sorts of things? Well, essential oils are way more potent and powerful than herbs.
Essential oils are the plant’s natural defense and protective mechanisms—some say they are like the “blood” of the plant, because they transport waste and toxins out and nutrients in. Essential oils regulate the plant’s systems, including the immune system and protect the plant from harmful substances. They work the same in our bodies as they do in nature. It’s pretty incredible stuff.
Now that I’ve been using essential oils for a couple years, I really don’t know how I ever lived without them. We’re talking, throughout my day, every day, for everything. My family has been using them since day one for supporting our immune systems, seasonal stuffiness, household cleaning, cooking, beauty recipes, stress management, SLEEP (omg), and in tons and tons of other ways. We’ve replaced all the toxic products that have all sorts of scary side effects and long-term risks, with oily replacements that are completely and totally safe, pure, and natural, and actually WORK.
Why Young Living? Are they really that much better than all the rest?
Alright. I don’t even buy a spatula without doing a bunch of research as to which is the best one and why. So, when I decided on an essential oil company to trust, I did A TON. Of research. And it became very clear that even though there are a bunch of essential oil brands out there, and they all seem to be saying the same thing (“Our oils are the purest! And bestest! And 10000% natural!!”), only ONE company could say this:
“Seed to Seal.”
Seed to Seal is the process that each and every single colorful little bottle of Young Living Essential Oil goes through. It means that from choosing only the best seeds from the previous year’s harvest, to planting them in carefully-tended and pristine soil, all the way through harvesting at the exact peak of the plant’s potency, and distilling with a proprietary process that no one else has, to hardcore testing every batch a ridiculous amount of times, both from in-house aromatic chemists and third-party labs—no bottle is sealed before we know with 100% certainty that it is the purest, safest, most effective, highest-quality essential oil that can possibly be produced. Whew! It’s pretty intense. But that is the Seed-to-Seal guarantee. And it matters.
Young Living is the only essential oil company in the world that actually owns our own farms. The ONLY one. I know that if you read this blog, you care about the whole, “know your farmer” thing.
Well, I’ve been to the farms—two of them, so far (Young Living has many farms all over the world). I’ve talked to the guy whose actual full-time job (along with 7 other guys—who by the way, earn fair, living wages like all of Young Living’s valued farm workers) is to walk the fields every day and hand pick each and every weed just so that not even a speck of pesticides or herbicides ever touches those precious plants. I’ve petted the giant horses that plow the fields. I’ve drank the water that runs off of the distiller—you can literally go fill your water bottle with it and it tastes like delicious herbs.
Several of my friends and teammates have gotten to actually go participate in a harvest (any Young Living member can do this) and work the process first-hand. I’m totally going next year, but check this out.
Think those cheap oils at the health food store can compare to this? Are you starting to see where I’m coming from?
Here’s my little fam with our boots in the dirt out at the St. Marie’s farm in Idaho, the original Young Living farm, where they generously sent us for an all-expenses paid leadership retreat this summer. It. Was. Awesome. We’re standing in front of freshly-harvested melissa (lemon balm) fields—one of the most gorgeous and magical botanicals I’ve ever experienced. From the fields, to my family—I know I can trust every drop that I use every day. I know exactly where it came from.
How to Get Started
What I always recommend to get started with oils is this bad boy right here, the Premium Starter Kit. This is the very same kit that I got started with, and it’s by far the best deal out there.
- A 5 ml bottle of Lavender essential oil (Do you need some sleep? Do your kids? You need this in your life.)
- A 5 ml bottle of Peppermint Vitality essential oil (Cools you down, perks you up, a million reasons to love it)
- A 5 ml bottle of Lemon Vitality essential oil (delicious. And supports healthy detox pathways)
- A 5 ml bottle of Frankincense essential oil (Best. Skin. Of your life.)
- 5 ml bottle of PanAway essential oil blend (soothes and supports tired, tight muscles and joint stiffness)
- 5 ml bottle of DiGize Vitality essential oil blend (making even the gnarliest meal easy on the tummy!)
- 5 ml bottle of Purification essential oil blend (the ultimate in getting rid of stinky smells, also little buzzing bugs tend to not like this one either…wink, wink.)
- 5 ml bottle of RC essential oil blend (for when you need clear things out and breathe easier! It works.)
- 5 ml bottle of Copaiba Vitality essential oil supplement (this one has a cult following among oilers and a reputation for supporting overall wellness and making people feel awesome)
- 5 ml bottle of Thieves Vitality essential oil blend (so crazily effective that the FDA won’t even let me tell you how amazing it is! No really, they won’t. But you need it. Especially to stay healthy this winter.)
- BONUS 5 ml bottle of Stress Away essential oil blend (a vacation in a bottle! My absolute favorite.)
And then, you get to choose your diffuser. Here’s what you can choose from:
Aria: This is basically the “rolls-royce” of diffusers. It has all the bells and whistles you can think of, like a remote control, a music player, etc., and it’s also really beautiful and made of solid wood and glass.
Rainstone: This is also a pretty fancy one, and is made with a rare type of clay that gives it sort of “grounding” properties and helps to ionize the air, which provides additional benefits beyond diffusing.
Home: This is the one with the pretty little purple flower at the top. It’s great because it has a feature that lets you set it to run 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, so that makes the total time that the diffuser runs, before it needs to be refilled with water and oils, a lot longer. And that’s helpful if you want to run it in your bedroom all night while you sleep, like I do.
Dewdrop (pictured here): This one has a more sleek and streamlined design, which I personally like. It does its job really well without any confusing settings—just pour water in it, add your oils, and turn it on!
You also get these goodies with your kit:
- AromaGlide Roller Fitment (you can put this roller ball on any of our 5ml or 15ml bottles and they last forever!)
- 2 packets of Ningxia Red antioxidant drink (you might get addicted to this…fair warning)
- 10 mini dram bottles for samples (to share or for travel-sized oiling)
- 10 sample packets of oil (including a sample of Peace & Calming! And yes, that’s as amazing as it sounds.)
- Essential Oil Magazine
- A 2016 Product Guide—a beautiful catalog so you can see what other cool stuff you might want to use your discount on
- Helpful literature to get to know your oils better
If you were to order all of the things in the Premium Starter Kit separately, it would cost over $330. So you’re getting 11 of the most popular essential oils, plus all that other stuff, for over 50% off. Score!
Join the party!
The best thing about the way this company is set up, is that by me referring you to Young Living, you then become a member of my team. Which means that I’m going to be here to support you, encourage you, and provide you with everything you need as you get started on this journey to a healthier way of living with essential oils.
And it’s not just me—you instantly become a part of this big, awesome community of people who are right there with you in all of this. Some of my closest friends and most meaningful relationships are with people who are on our oily team. It’s pretty incredible.
I’ll ask that you add me as a friend on Facebook, and then I’ll make sure you get access to our exclusive private Facebook groups where there is tons of information and resources to help you learn everything you need to get the most out of your oils. Also a TON of exclusive giveaways, private classes, live workshops, daily inspiration and support, and more. We’re a fun time (and I’m sure you are, too). Come on over!
My gift to you: ALL the ebooks!
I’ve written a couple of ebooks that I’ve sold on this site for years, retailing at $29.95 a piece. But I decided that I want anyone who is serious enough about improving their eating and sleeping habits really deserves to have more than just ebooks—you need these powerful wellness tools in your home.
So I’m going to give both ebooks—and also any future ebooks that I write (there are some more coming, trust me)—to all of my Young Living family for FREE. That means that when you join our team by ordering the Premium Starter Kit with me as your Young Living sponsor, I’ll zip you over both my ebooks, no charge. I want you to have them. And I’m so excited to help you along in your journey.
There is no catch. Seriously.
So, let me explain a bit more about how this works. When you enroll as a member with a Premium Starter Kit, you technically become a Young Living “Distributor.” Eek! I can sense your cringe from here.
Don’t worry. You have absolutely zero obligation to do anything other than enjoy your new oils that you got a crazy discount on. NO selling, no minimum orders, or anything shady is ever required of you. No strings attached, whatsoever.
All being a “distributor” means is that if you wanted to, you could refer someone else to Young Living and you’d be eligible to earn a little cash for doing so. (Or a lot, if you wanna go crazy with it and get a bunch of people on board. If that’s what you want, I can show you how.) But you absolutely do not have to if you don’t want. The point is that the option is there to get compensated for your referral, if you ever wanted to help a friend or someone get started with oils.
And, the best part about being a wholesale member is that you get the distributor discount! You save 24% off of retail prices. For anything else that you want to order from here on out. You definitely do not want to miss out on that.
It’s kind of like how you pay a fee to get a Costco membership card, in order to get discounted products. Except with Young Living, you don’t pay a fee—you get a whole bunch of premium essential oils and a diffuser with your first order, instead of a measly card. Kiiind of a better deal.
(I took this pic with my nose in the lavender at the farm. 🙂
How to get started
There are two ways that you can get your oils today. One is by becoming a retail customer, and the other is by becoming a wholesale member, like we just talked about.
Seriously, though. Don’t do the retail thing. You’re throwing away money (24% more than you have to pay!) that you could be saving to get more oils and things to support your wellness, and it’s just not the smartest way to go. But if you choose, it’s easy to sign up as a retail customer by following the prompts on the signup page.
To join as a wholesale member and get the 24% discount, as well as your big ol’ kit of oils, follow these steps:
- Go to the signup page HERE.
- Leave your selection at the “Member” option in blue on the left, make sure your country selection is correct, and hit “Continue.” It will show a little prompt saying that I (Emily Benfit) am your new Young Living sponsor (yay!), and you just click “Continue.”
- Then, on the next page, you’ll pick your kit (the Premium Starter Kit I recommend will be already up there selected for you) and which diffuser you want. Pick your diffuser (they’re all amazing, so you can’t go wrong), and scroll down.
- When you get to Step 2: Automatic Monthly Delivery, don’t freak out. This is to sign up for Essential Rewards, a completely optional program that, while totally awesome and something I recommend to save a lot of money on stuff you need, is something you can just scroll right on past and skip for now. We can talk all about how Essential Rewards will save you a bunch of money by earning you free points toward your future orders later, and you can always come back to it and sign up another day. For now, if you don’t want to worry about it today, do nothing, and hit the “next” button to continue on.
- You’ll be prompted about Essential Rewards again, and if you’re not ready to jump on board with that, just click “Continue Enrollment.”
- Fill out your membership information on the next page, and make sure you go on to complete the checkout process.
And you’re done! Your new kit of oils will be on its way soon to your doorstep. Opening that box is gonna be the highlight of your day. Your week. Your month. Or even your yeeeeeear… (points to you if you get my joke and can name that tune. 😉
AND I will be sending you an email to welcome you on board—because, hey, I’ll be there for youuuuuu! (Alright, I’ll stop with the cheesy Friends references, but for real, I’m excited to be oil buds with you.)
So PLEASE check your email and say hey! I’ll also be attaching your FREE ebooks to the email, so don’t miss out on that.
I’m SO happy for you and I really can’t wait to hear all about how much you’re loving your oils.
(and my little girl, Leona. Yes, that’s a bottle of oil in her hand. She wants you to have it. ?)