My mother brought to our family Christmas dinner at my aunt’s house, a lovely little platter of almond-roca-style toffee — made with no refined sugar whatsoever. It was delicious!
She also made the glass dish on which it was served. Not that she wanted to brag about it via my writing, or anything.
Well, when we got back to our house to have our gift exchange, my mom was delighted to discover what Santa brought her:
And then, the idea was born — almond roca ice cream!
My mom lives in Washington state where real (raw) milk is legal even at the retail sale level. (You can see where your state stands with raw milk laws over at the Farm-To-Consumer Legal Defense Fund.) So, she headed over to her local health food store to pick up a couple pints of this gloriously healthy cream from happy, grass-fed Jersey cows:
What I wouldn’t give to have that kind of luxury! My mom whipped up another batch of almond roca and added it to a simple, wholesome vanilla ice cream. Here’s her recipes!
Sugar-Free* Almond Roca Toffee
- 1/2 cup real, raw honey (I guess since we’ll be cooking it, you wouldn’t necessarily have to buy raw, but at least get a decent, non-super-processed honey)
- 1/2 cup butter (don’t be afraid of butter, y’all!)
- pinch sea salt (learn about real sea salt here)
- 1 cup almonds(soaked and dried crispy), sliced and slowly toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 bar organic dark chocolate
Sugar-Free Vanilla Honey Ice Cream
- 2 cups real, raw cream (learn more about real dairy here)
- 2 cups real, raw milk
- 4-5 pastured egg yolks
- 1/2 cup real, raw honey (if you’re used to more sweetness, you could add more)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
Mix it together and stick it in an ice cream machine.
To make Almond Roca Crunch Ice Cream:
Crumble the almond roca into chocolate-chip-sized pieces, and add into your vanilla ice cream as it’s churning in the machine. And then put some more on top of it once it’s in the bowl. Or a lot. A really disproportionate amount, like I did.
How amazing does that look?! I’d take this over Heath bar Breyer’s ice cream any day!
What’s your favorite homemade ice cream recipe? If you try out this one, be sure to let me know. Mama Butter will be so very pleased!